MAGNIFICENT MERCOLA: Berberine May Ease Symptoms of Anxiety and Depression
- Berberine — an alkaloid compound found in goldenseal — has powerful antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiproliferative, antidiarrheal, antineoplastic, antidiabetic, neuroprotective and immune-enhancing properties
- Having similar mechanisms of action as the drug metformin, berberine can be used as an oral hypoglycemic for Type 2 diabetics
- Berberine improves blood lipid levels, lowers blood pressure, improves liver function and gut health, and can be useful in the prevention of chronic diseases such as cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and others
- Many of berberine's health benefits have been linked to its ability to activate AMPK, an enzyme and metabolic master switch that helps regulate metabolism. AMPK is also an important neuroprotector
- Berberine also benefits your psychological well-being and reduces symptoms of anxiety and depression by increasing key neurotransmitters and inhibiting glutamate
Editor's Note: This article is a reprint. It was originally published April 5, 2018.
Berberine — a yellow-colored alkaloid compound found in several different plants, including European barberry, goldenseal, goldthread, Oregon grape and tree turmeric — has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiproliferative, antidiarrheal, antineoplastic, antidiabetic and immune-enhancing1 properties. It has a long history of use in traditional medicine, including traditional Chinese medicine, and many of its historical uses now have scientific backing.
For example, it's effective against a wide range of bacteria, protozoa and fungi, and is commonly used to treat gastrointestinal issues, including traveler's diarrhea and that from food poisoning. Having similar mechanisms of action as the drug metformin, berberine can also be used as an oral hypoglycemic for Type 2 diabetics.
It's helpful against seasonal allergies and even helps combat metastatic stem cells and heart failure. Many integrative health practitioners swear by berberine as a general health supplement due to its ability to address such a wide variety of maladies.2 As noted by Dr. Michael Murray, a naturopath who is regarded as one of the world's leading authorities on natural medicine:3
"… I think [berberine] is poised to be the biggest thing in the natural product industry … Here is why: Berberine has been shown to:
What Makes Berberine Such a Powerful Remedy?
- Produce results in clinical trials in improving Type 2 diabetes on par or better than conventional drugs including metformin.
- Improve blood lipid levels better than statins.
- Lower blood pressure in many subjects as well as any class of antihypertensive medication.
- Improve liver function and promote anti-obesity effects.
- Exert significant beneficial effects on digestive health and the microbiome.
- Produce very encouraging experimental data in a wide range of modern health issues including cancer, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and others."
Many of berberine's health benefits4 have been linked to its ability to activate adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase (AMPK).5 AMPK is an enzyme inside your body's cells. It's sometimes referred to as a "metabolic master switch" because it plays an important role in regulating metabolism.6
Low AMPK has been linked to insulin resistance, mitochondrial dysfunction, obesity, neurodegeneration and chronic inflammation — all of which lay the groundwork for a wide variety of serious chronic diseases. In an article discussing the clinical uses of berberine for metabolic syndrome and Type 2 diabetes, the Natural Medicine Journal highlights its effect on AMPK:7
"AMPK induces a cascade of events within cells that are all involved in maintaining energy homeostasis … AMPK regulates an array of biological activities that normalize lipid, glucose and energy imbalances. Metabolic syndrome occurs when these AMPK-regulated pathways are turned off, triggering a syndrome that includes hyperglycemia, diabetes, lipid abnormalities and energy imbalances …
"AMPK helps coordinate the response to these stressors, shifting energy toward cellular repair, maintenance or a return to homeostasis and improved likelihood of survival. The hormones leptin and adiponectin activate AMPK. In other words, activating AMPK can produce the same benefits as exercise, dieting and weight loss — the lifestyle modifications considered beneficial for a range of maladies …
"One way to appreciate berberine's potential is to think of it as having the same effect on a patient as increasing exercise while at the same time restricting calorie intake. Think of the effects of AMPK suppression as similar to those of eating a high-calorie diet while leading a very sedentary lifestyle."
Berberine Helps Ease Anxiety and Depression
AMPK is also an important neuroprotector. As explained in the Journal of Neurochemistry,8 "AMPK senses metabolic stress and integrates diverse physiological signals to restore energy balance. Multiple functions are indicated for AMPK in the [central nervous system] …" Berberine also benefits brain health and psychological well-being by increasing key neurotransmitters.
A number of studies have demonstrated berberine's usefulness against anxiety and depression, in part by inhibiting monoamine oxidase, an enzyme that breaks down serotonin, noradrenaline and dopamine in your brain. These neurotransmitters play important roles in mood and have been implicated in depression.
An Indian study9 published in 2008 confirmed berberine has antidepressant effects, reversing "behavioral despair" in stressed rats. Interestingly, the effects were not dose-dependent. Even low doses had a beneficial effect. According to the authors:
"Berberine (5 mg/kg, i.p.) following its acute administration in mice resulted in increased levels of norepinephrine (31 percent), serotonin (47 percent) and dopamine (31 percent) in the whole brain. Chronic administration of berberine (5 mg/kg, i.p.) for 15 days significantly increased the levels of norepinephrine (29 percent), serotonin (19 percent) as well as dopamine (52 percent) …
"[A]t higher dose (10 mg/kg, i.p.), there was no change in the norepinephrine (12 percent) levels but a significant increase in the serotonin (53 percent) and dopamine (31 percent) levels was found."
A similar study by South Korean researchers found berberine was helpful in treating post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). As in the Indian study, rats exposed to prolonged stress exhibited significantly reduced anxiety-driven behaviors after receiving berberine. They were also better able to complete complex navigational tests.
Most remarkable of all, berberine was shown to "restore the main neurochemical abnormalities in the brains of rats in the PTSD model" — a rather surprising effect that "supports a central mechanism of action that berberine heals brains damaged by severe stress or fear."10
Berberine Eases Side Effects Associated With Drug Withdrawal
Berberine has also been shown to activate Sigma1 receptors, a subclass of opioid receptors that react to morphine and similar substances — including those produced naturally in your body — and inhibits glutamate, thereby improving anxiety and depression.11 Sigma1 receptors play a role in oxidative stress, the functioning of your nervous system and the survival of neurons, and as such are believed to influence neuropsychiatric problems, including psychotic conditions.12
A study13 published in the Korean Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology assessed berberine's effect on not just depression and anxiety but also on the noradrenergic system. Here, they used morphine-addicted rats to see whether berberine might ease morphine withdrawal — symptoms of which often include depression and anxiety. As explained by the authors:
"Male rats were exposed to chronic, intermittent, escalating morphine (10~50 mg/kg) for 10 days. After the last morphine injection, depression- and anxiety-like behavior associated with morphine discontinuation persisted for at least three days during withdrawal without any change in ambulatory activity.
"Daily berberine administration significantly decreased immobility in the forced swimming test and increased open-arm exploration in the elevated plus maze test …
"Taken together, these findings demonstrated that berberine administration significantly reduced morphine withdrawal-associated behaviors … possibly through modulation of hypothalamic corticotrophin-releasing factor and the central noradrenergic system. Berberine may be a useful agent for treating or alleviating complex withdrawal symptoms and preventing morphine use relapses."
Berberine Supports Gut Health and Much More
Berberine has also been shown to support a healthy gastrointestinal tract and microbiome in a number of different ways, and this too can have a beneficial impact on your mood and mental health. There's ample research showing your gut health plays a very important role in your brain health, and can influence your mood for better or worse. As for improving your gut health, studies have shown berberine helps:
Prevent diarrhea by delaying the amount of time it takes for food to pass through your small intestine14
The normalization of gut bacteria also resulted in lower body weight, lower serum levels of lipids, lower glucose and insulin levels, and the normalization of insulin resistance20
While berberine is quite safe and well-tolerated, it may be contraindicated if you're taking medications.21 For example, berberine may hinder absorption of tetracycline and other similar antibiotics, rendering them ineffective.
Also, because berberine significantly inhibits CYP3A enzymes — enzymes needed to metabolize most drugs — it can lower the clearance of medications, which in turn can augment their effect. This can lead to overdose, the risks of which will vary depending on the drug in question.
Berberine inhibits CYP3A just like curcumin, which impairs phase 2 detoxification, where your body makes toxins water soluble so they can be excreted. So, this would not be a supplement to use during fasting where you have large lipolysis and liberation of stored toxins that need to be metabolized.
Also, as noted by Murray:22 "Berberine … enhances the effects of oral hypoglycemic drugs used in the treatment of Type 2 diabetes through its multitude of antidiabetic effects. People on oral hypoglycemic drugs should monitor blood glucose levels if taking berberine and adjust their dosage of their medications as needed and under the care of a medical professional." I tell virtually everyone taking metformin to switch to berberine as it is far safer.
- 1 Supplements in Review, July 18, 2017
- 2 Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Berberine Purported Benefits
- 3, 10, 21, 22 Doctormurray.com Berberine
- 4 Self Hacked, Berberine Benefits
- 5 Diabetes 2006 Aug; 55(8): 2256-2264
- 6 Am J Physiol. 1999 Jul;277(1 Pt 1):E1-10
- 7 Natural Medicine Journal December 2012; 4(12)
- 8 Journal of Neurochemistry 2009 May; 109(Suppl 1): 17–23
- 9 European Journal of Pharmacology 2008 Jul 28;589(1-3):163-72
- 11 Newsmax.com January 25, 2017
- 12 Blog.muscle-zone.com, Berberine: A Natural Antidepressant
- 13 Korean Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology 2012 Dec; 16(6): 379–386
- 14 Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. 1994 Dec;14(12):718-20
- 15 Journal of Infectious Diseases 2011 Jun 1;203(11):1602-12
- 16 PLOS One 2015 Jul 30;10(7):e0134044
- 17 PLOS One 2013 May 3;8(5):e61944
- 18 Scientific Reports 2015 Sep 23;5:14405
- 19, 20 Archives of Iranian Medicine 2016 Mar;19(3):197-203
- I interviewed Ronnie Cummins, cofounder and international director of the Organic Consumers Association (OCA), in honor of Regenerative Food and Farming Week
- One of OCA's major endeavors is the Billion Agave Project, an ecosystem-regeneration strategy being used by Mexican farms to turn agave into inexpensive animal feed
- While small farms around the globe are using organic methods to grow food, they're not getting credit for the truly sustainable farming methods they're embracing because they're not certified
- OCA's No. 1 project is to replace "the bogus carbon credits" with a system that measures the ecosystem services that farmers are providing, so they can be paid for these beneficial services along with the food they provide
- OCA and their collaborators are working on a cellphone app that will streamline the organic certification process, enable farmers to apply to be certified organic and demonstrate higher levels of regenerative practices
Ruby Ray Media, the World's Premier Community Media Platform, was created to support Citizen Journalism at its finest.
Citizen Journalists, multimedia content creators are the reason we are here. Raising up your voice is central to our mission. We are a team, lifting each other by the variety of our talents and skills. The most important element in this is capturing and sharing the unique thoughts, wisdom and artforms that come to us as we ponder the world in our hearts. Seeing now clearly how badly the people who arrogate themselves into positions of power and influence over us, are bungling the job. They have never attempted to serve the people who are the source of their wealth and power, they only seek to exploit us.
Our years of experience on social media have clearly proven to us, that the so-called "average" men and women living on this planet, have in our daily musings the extraordinary wisdom of how this planet needs to be run--it's a big planet, each one of us contains valuable insights into the many aspects of the whole. We support each one of us upping our games expressing the unique gifts each of us contains.
Your qualifications, are your courage to be born on this planet, and make your way living a worthy life. We are here to support you putting your thoughts and ideas into words and other artforms. The technicalities are simply hurdles to overcome, the challenge is summoning the courage to say what is in our hearts and minds. We recognize that every soul born, simply by delving into our hearts, can contact Infinite Wisdom, the Holy Spirit. Maybe not so clearly at first for those with less experience exploring within, and certainly a lifetime of growing and developing our ability to put words to the wisdom we inherently contain.
We have spent the years developing this platform, to support you with the technical foundations for sharing your message with the world, including our Creators Guild, welcoming you into the precious and sacred community of like-minded spirits, bridging any gaps we each may have in our areas of competence. For example, no matter how good of a writer you are, trying to edit your own work is something like herding kittens, and it has been well said that working with HTML web page language, is like trying to paint on water. Far better to work in collaboration with fellow warriors for mutual benefit, rather than spending hours doing poorly at something it takes a person with the talent, minutes to pop it over the top!
What I am hoping to convey to you, is that so often the shyest spirits among us, those who so often hold their tongues, remaining silent fearing to speak that most dangerous of substances--the truth, have shuttered within themselves exactly the things the world most desperately needs to hear and learn. If you think about it, we just came to the brink, of the end of our civilization, for the lack of this type of individual expression acting in counterpoint to the corporate and globalist agenda we are literally assaulted by.
We all need, to get the Word out. Mother Earth herself, is dying for us to speak in her behalf with a grain or two of common sense.
You won't know what you can accomplish, until you give it a good try taking it to the next level. We are here to support you overcoming the technical hurdles to sharing your thoughts, wisdom, art, vision, with the world via the internet, the most powerful communication medium in human history.
The best way to get started, is to load your MyRubyRay Arsenal with ammunition, posting content here exactly like you would on FB and Twitt. When you are ready to jump into Citizen Journalism, publishing your articles, research, art etc as articles and features in Top Stories and other RRM Categories, it's time to join the Creators Guild becoming an RRM Author and Editor!
One of our authors has an RRM article that popped past 80k hits, while we were still testing the site. Seeing your FB or Twitt posts languishing as usual at one or two dozen engagements, watching the same posts on RRM pulling thousands of hits, you'll get quite clearly why we built this.
If you haven't already begun your RRM adventure: